Back To Home Page

Forum Home     Forum Search     Your Profile / Register     User List     Log In     Log Out     Disclaimer    

Forum Topics > Myofascial Trigger Point Needling / Dry Needling > Is needling by Massage Therapists warranted > Post a Reply to this Thread
Is needling by Massage Therapists warranted
alliedsofttissue
alliedsofttissue
RE: Is needling by Massage Therapists warranted
Mon, Oct 13 2014 7:14 PM

Yes although the feather duster was dipped in molten lead!

Concordia res parvae crescent

Euripades
Euripades
Sun, Oct 05 2014 12:32 PM

Have you ever felt like someone was beating you about the head with a feather-duster?

Me Wrote:
Does this new 60 hr mandatory schooling for Dry Needling affect those that have done the course many years ago before this ruling was introduced?

Good luck obtaining an answer to this. Your associations simply do not understand the length and breadth of Myofascial Dry Needling (MDN), as a therapeutic intervention, as very few of them are trained in it. It is akin to asking a truck mechanic to service your motorbike - sure, they have a general idea, but, not enough of an idea to make competent decisions about the particular vehicle you are driving.

The fact that associations continually refer to 'acupuncture', in relation to MDN, is a testament to this. They do not understand that MDN is not acupuncture. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Another aspect that associations fail to grasp is the educational process. The skills and knowledge that you acquire from a workshop are not directly attributable to the length of the course. If you sit in a classroom for 60 hours, it does not mean that you will learn more than if you sat in a classroom for 40 hours. Likewise, if you sit in a classroom for 60 hours, with 30 other students, will you get the same value, and the same learnings, as sitting in a classroom for 40 hours, with 15 other students?

Let's take a guess though........ There is an association 'someone' or 'some persons' who have strong links to a school or schools, that teach MDN. The steps that have been taken here, by the association/s, will drive students into these school/s. Let us all be vigilant and ensure that there are zero conflicts of interest (nudge, nudge - wink, wink).

Note: This is 60-hours, face-to-face. No assignments, no self-directed learning, no worksheets, no days off for teachers or students, no toilet breaks for teachers or students - it is literally 60 hours of face-to-face training - being physically present - direct line of vision between student and teacher. If a student misses a class, that class will need to be made up at another time. If a teacher calls in sick, that whole class is required to be caught up, at some time. All exams will have to be viewed by every student, unless the examinations are added to the length of the course, thereby, making it 60 hours face-to-face, plus, exam times.

A mandated 60-hour workshop for MDN, for post-graduate therapists, is absurd on many levels. This is the exact opposite of what is happening in education in the 21st century. Access to education is becoming EASIER, especially over the last 10 years, not impossibly harder. Education is a experiential process, not a simple matter of; "you've served your time - your 60 hours of time served is over - now you're competent - off you go".

So, why is it happening - why the change?

The associations are impotent, toothless tigers. They see MDN as a way of flexing their puny little muscles. This is their way of being seen to exert some level of 'control' in the profession. You will note that, as NSW TAFEs continue to slash the number of hours required for the Remedial Massage diploma, all associations sit by, twiddle their thumbs, and do absolutely nothing.

So, what will these changes mean for practicing Remedial Massage Therapists (RMTs)?

Well, it will make it more difficult for RMTs to remain in the remedial massage profession for an extended period of time. MDN was a great intervention for therapists who were advancing it years. MDN takes away some of the physical demands of the profession and allowed experienced therapists to stay in clinical practice for many more years.

So, effectively, the associations have, for once, taken some action - unfortunately, it is sadly a misdirected action. In fact, it is an action that is detrimental to the profession and will result in more retirements, more quickly.

What will happen to our RMTs in the remotest parts of this vast nation? Stuff them eh? They are just going to have to 'man up' and get with the program. They, along with their colleagues in the cities, should feel ashamed of what is being done to them. It's simply making education unobtainable for them.

Whose side are the associations on? If your associations want to make an impact on behalf of RMTs, try Workcover, try VA, try private health insurers, try insurance companies - why destroy a treatment option for RMTs.

This is another backward step for RMTs in Australia and for your profession. Perhaps lobby your associations. I dare say that it may be more prudent to put the broom through the associations. The people running them have been there way too long. The RMT movement is stale. Isn't it time to lift those metacarpals off the ground? Time for some fresh ideas and some innovative perspectives that will drag your profession into the 21st century.

Peace.

Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.

Me
Me
Tue, Jun 03 2014 6:58 AM

Does this new 60 hr mandatory schooling for Dry Needling affect those that have done the course many years ago before this ruling was introduced?

Country boys like it dirty

alliedsofttissue
alliedsofttissue
Thu, May 16 2013 7:34 PM

Finally!!

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Dry-Needling-Clinical-Based/dp/0702046019

Concordia res parvae crescent

imassage
Thu, May 16 2013 8:48 AM

Is there any update on this? I can't seem to find it anywhere?

And I'm not confident with your opinion just yet iliketrees as you seem to have strong bias towards RMIT without any rational. If you could actually prove your points with some substance rather than broad sweeping rhetoric then I would listen but from what I read you seemed blind to anyone outside of RMIT.

elephant
elephant
Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:49 PM

That is such a good question. I haven't seen any policies? Considering it was RMIT that started teaching this topic some 20 years ago, do they have a policy? Or should I say IRMA.
And a further question, shouldn't the entire profession design this policy rather than 10 different associations?

Or are we doing what we seem to always do and leave it up to 30,000 individuals to do what the want?

Dont avoid me when I am in the room

Me
Me
Wed, Jul 11 2012 10:24 PM

Biggins, it is glaringly obvious that iliketrees is an ignoramus.
But back to the topic, have you seen any of the association policies as yet on MDN?

Country boys like it dirty

biggins
biggins
Mon, Jan 23 2012 3:39 PM

'I like trees' I just re read your last post and realised how stupid your comment was. 'RMT's shouldn't be Learning MDN' you said? Considering that is EXACTLY what the RMIT students are when they are learning MDN, you have just shot yourself directly in your clumsy foot. Remember? Cert IV, then Dip then advanced dip? As much as you don't want to associate yourself with MT's and RMT's, that is exactly the edeucation that is taught at RMIT on the way to graduate as a Myo.
Mmm, interesting hey.

We are but a piece of one huge puzzle,....recognise it

inquisitive
inquisitive
Tue, May 11 2010 5:55 PM

Ahhh, I like trees...you pretend to hold so much cred when you obviously are as green as spring grass. Do you have 'Myotherapy' tattooed on your heart?
You remind of a fanatical religous freak who can't see the other side for looking.

keep it simple stupid

RadicalPosture
RadicalPosture
Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:08 PM

i woz a rmt then i did mdn course = now i'm a smokin dry needler = i'm with you treemeister i'm not one of those moggie rmt anymor - zinggggaarrrr

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt." SIr Denis Thatcher

< Prev Next >