Back To Home Page

Forum Home     Forum Search     Your Profile / Register     User List     Log In     Log Out     Disclaimer    

Forum Topics > Drugs in Musculoskeletal Medicine > Cortisone > Post a Reply to this Thread
Cortisone
Me
Me
RE: Cortisone
Tue, May 06 2014 2:37 PM

Hey Eroll,
Are you a biochemist? If not, I suggest you be really careful to what you promote. Your comments seem very uneducated.

Country boys like it dirty

kingarthur
Mon, Dec 09 2013 1:21 AM

Yeah, what that hing really mean?

inquisitive
inquisitive
Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:10 PM

Hey guys there are many 'I heard' stories out there but lets keep to the facts when voicing our opinions. I heard the planet was flat...
Cortisone has its place and has the potential to make huge changes for people who aren't making progress with conventional manual therapy. Yes for many it makes no difference but many it does. There are areas that it works very well for (like bursa's, facets) and some that it has variable results (like acute on chronic inflamed synoviums) and some poor results like tendons/plantar fascia.
It has its place for particular populations and particular conditions and this needs to be written about here on the forum - case study like.
It has its down side like all drugs and these are well known and well processed when considering its implementation. No one injects into tendons anymore for instance. This hasn't been done for 20 years. So we can put that opinion into the 'once upon a time' bag.

keep it simple stupid

errolprowse
Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:50 AM

cortisone reduces inflammation, both good and bad kinds (such as chronic inflammatory responses). This slows down healing big time

It also reduces pain in the area, which makes the patient think that everything is all better when it is not. This is dangerous and can make you perpetuate the injury further.

It weakens the tissue. They say that this happens only after having more than two shots a year, but this is not true, and I have heard of a case where a Plantar Fascia ruptured after having only one shot!!

It is dangerous stuff, I would steer clear of it. Use systemic enzymes such as WOBENZYME!!! that stuff works wonders, and it only stops chronic inflammation, not healthy inflammation response.

Check out my soft tissue website: www.pain-geek.com

imassage
Tue, Jul 24 2012 5:51 PM

It would be nice if you realised that this is a forum and not WIKI.
You are the forum.
Hence, thanks for the link with no emotion attached.

Pitty it's a nutrition link and not a medical link though. Got one?

gabrielwalter
gabrielwalter
Tue, Jul 24 2012 3:27 PM

It would be nice if you provide some more information about Cortisone.
http://www.avsnutrition.com.au

http://www.avsnutrition.com.au

inquisitive
inquisitive
Wed, Mar 02 2011 12:06 AM

Or possibly the FACT that cortisone has a half life of 12 weeks,...hence obviously it will diminish after a few months. The point of cortisone is not to eliminate symptoms but to give us (all manual therapists) a window of opportunity to provide therapy and for the patient to do rehab exercises without pain inhibition.

Know you drugs,...

keep it simple stupid

ColinRossie
Tue, Feb 16 2010 3:26 PM

From the coal face of clinical experience, it appears that symptoms abate after a cortisone shot. Sometimes permanently, but a significant number represent with the same problem several months later and another shot then doesn't seem to work. Misdiagnosis in the first place, or just the collagen proliferation starting to tear if the movement habits don't change?

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" Plato

Achilles
Achilles
Fri, Jan 09 2009 1:04 PM

I am not necessarily suggesting it is a different material, however it's structure would relate to it's function one would think ie; Tensile load vs reduction of friction.

The tendon is thick collagen fibrils in a parallel fashion where as the sheath is generally more of a loose aeriolar type tissue - still made of collagen

Maybe the sheath has better capcity to get inflamed and the substance degenerate? Maybe that's why the injection is in the sheath? I don't think we conclusively know just yet

imassage
Thu, Jan 08 2009 12:31 PM

Are you suggesting that the sheath is made of something other than collagen?

< Prev Next >