Back To Home Page

Forum Home     Forum Search     Your Profile / Register     User List     Log In     Log Out     Disclaimer    

Forum Topics > Suggestions & Error Reporting > Definitions - Some suggested ones > Post a Reply to this Thread
Definitions - Some suggested ones
ColinRossie
RE: Definitions - Some suggested ones
Tue, Feb 16 2010 3:35 PM

Fellow STT professionals, we need a basic universal definition just for the treatment protocols we use. Check out Clifford and Andrade,"Outcome Based Massage"- it seems every technique we do has a plethora of names. Streamlining is in order.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" Plato

SkinPolisher
SkinPolisher
Sun, Feb 10 2008 7:51 PM

Yep, I agree, the use of the correct terminology in day to day dealings with a patients (dare I say it, not clients!!!), the media and the general public would help our plight alright.

I choose to polish with mWax

olderbetter
olderbetter
Sun, Jul 16 2006 6:05 PM

Our industry needs to embrace science. It quite simply is the way of the future and ignorance of this vital component of our industry will only leave us in the backyard witch doctor connotation.

Science is what makes people listen. People in high places with the ability to create jobs. Surely our industry should be looking at job prospects for future graduates. Shouldn't they/we?

Being literate is a good start. Knowing our definitions is fundamental. Disagreeing on basic terms makes us look amueterish. No-one wants to deal with novices.

Older, wiser, better...

Achilles
Achilles
Sat, Jul 01 2006 8:35 AM

The like minded people, yourself included inquisitive have not ignored science,.........however we are constantly having to educate and reform those have not yet learnt. i agree with you there.

The wheel turns full circle really, our education standards had previuosly been in trouble, the public not educated etc etc

There is plenty of research for STT - we just have to look for it and apply some common sense. You definitely show that you are well educated here. A few more inquisitives needed!!!

inquisitive
inquisitive
Fri, Jun 30 2006 10:50 PM

Why do we ignore science? Why do we ignore enormous amounts of literature? do we attract stupid people or do we encourage a culture of lack lustre ignorance?

keep it simple stupid

inquisitive
inquisitive
Mon, Jun 19 2006 1:14 PM

Dont make me scream!!! (*&^%&^$....Toxins my butt.

keep it simple stupid

RadicalPosture
RadicalPosture
Sun, Jun 18 2006 10:08 PM

why the hell do triathletes get massage after events to gt rid of toxins === if they had toxins in them wouldnt they die === RP

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt." SIr Denis Thatcher

SkinPolisher
SkinPolisher
Sat, May 20 2006 8:11 PM

Like i said, I polish skin.

Bombers
Bombers
Sun, Mar 05 2006 11:34 PM

My opinion on these definitions:

Waste Products: Or metabolites, are simply the products that result from cell metabolism (eg. CO2) - after using fuels (eg. O2, sugars)

Toxins:
A poison produced by a living organism. In the body they actually act as antigens and antibodies are formed to neutralise them. Does 'massage' flush them out? Not one iota of evidence to suggest that this occurs. And flush them where I ask? I believe we should move on from this ancient hypothesis.

Knots: A leymans term for a focal area of palpable tightness - possibly a TP.

People say I'm bias........

SkinPolisher
SkinPolisher
Sun, Mar 05 2006 1:41 PM

Any feedback???

< Prev Next >